The Northern Estate site
The Northern Estate is a group of 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st century buildings, most of which are listed and of considerable heritage value, located next door to the Palace of Westminster. They are already in use by MPs, their staff and the staff of the House of Commons.
These buildings are themselves in need of significant investment and refurbishment to bring them up to modern environmental standards, enable access for people with disabilities and create much more efficient spaces for modern use.
The Northern Estate site is surrounded by a number of significant neighbouring buildings, including New Scotland Yard to the east of Richmond House, the Ministry of Defence to the north and other Government departments across Parliament Street such as HM Treasury, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Cabinet Office and Downing Street. To the south of the site are the Palace of Westminster and Parliament Square.
The work to the Northern Estate is the essential first step which enables the restoration and renewal of the Palace of Westminster. That is why we are consulting on the plans now, before submitting planning applications to Westminster Council later in 2019.
This Grade II* listed building includes Richmond Terrace, built originally as Georgian town houses in 1824. This was subsequently incorporated into a new structure by Whitfield Associates in 1984 called “Richmond House” which also includes Grade II listed 85 Whitehall/54 Parliament Street. Richmond House was occupied by the Department of Health until they moved out in 2017 and was acquired by the Parliamentary Estate in early 2018. The building suffers from low floor-to-ceiling heights and irregular floorplates and levels which provide poor access for people with disabilities and inefficient spaces. The width of the stair towers are too narrow to meet today’s requirements for safe access.
Formerly a yard behind Norman Shaw North this road has been used for servicing and access and bin storage since Richmond House was built.
Norman Shaw North
Originally built as the first headquarters for the Metropolitan Police in 1890, this Grade I listed building is currently used as office space. The building has not been refurbished for 40 years, its façade and roof are in urgent need of repair and essential services need replacing.
53 Parliament Street
This Grade II listed building was built in 1896 and is currently used as offices.
Norman Shaw South
This Grade II* listed building, completed in 1906, originally provided additional offices for the Metropolitan Police and is now used as offices. Last refurbished in the 1990s, essential services now need updating. Many areas of the building, including the main entrance, have no wheelchair access.
1 Derby Gate
1 Derby Gate is a Grade II* listed building and was originally the Whitehall Club, a Victorian Gentlemen’s Club, built in the manner of a Venetian palace. Renovation work is currently underway.
Commissioner’s Yard is located between the Norman Shaw North and South buildings, and named in recognition of the site’s former use as the headquarters for the Metropolitan Police.
1 Canon Row
Built in 1906, originally as a police station, this Grade II* listed building is currently being refurbished.
A key street existing since medieval times running from Bridge Street to Derby Gate, now within the secure perimeter of the Parliamentary Estate but which currently provides a poor pedestrian environment.
2-3 Parliament Street
These Grade II* listed buildings form part of an 18th century development. These buildings need modernising and currently have limited accessibility.
Officially opened in 2001 providing offices for MPs and their staff with meeting and catering spaces, supplementing the limited space in the Palace of Westminster and surrounding buildings.
1 Parliament Street
This Grade II listed building was built in 1888 as offices for London and North Western Railway Estate Office, the largest company in the world on the stock market at the time. It was redeveloped in the 1980s and is currently used for offices and catering facilities, but the building is inefficient and suffers from poor access to Canon Row and the rest of the Northern Estate.